One relic in particular was described to be a fantastic sculpture and was noted to be in pristine condition. That particular relic, is a statuette depicting the Egyptian god Ptha. The artifact portrayed the deity with the body of a lion, the facial features of a pharaoh and measured an astonishing 60 cm in height. The fantastic relic is believed to have been created during Egypt’s New Kingdom period, 1292 to 1069 BC.
Jewel encrusted statues of gods, goddesses, pharaohs and mythological beasts were recently unearthed during a routine excavation of the Karnak temple complex. In all, 5 statues have been discovered and more are expected to be found within the next month, if not days.
This discovery was made by a group of archaeologists from the Egyptian Center for the Study of the Karnak temples, while the team was actively excavating the northern section of the Amun-Re temple precinct. The vast and ancient group of religious structures known as the Karnak complex, is located 2.5 kilometers north of Luxor, in Egypt.
The Great Karnak Temple Complex
The facilities and commons are now decrepit and decayed, but for almost 2,000 years, these groups of temples and structures were once a collection of beautiful chapels, pylons and mystifying structures, designed by the times master artisans. Although, this once awe-inspiring location is now, but a ramshackle shadow of its former glory, it has withstood the brutality of man and the indifference of time, and still remains standing today.
Construction of the mammoth site, is believed to have begun under the reign of Senusret I, in the Middle Kingdom period, around 2000 BC. Construction is believed to have ceased at the location, around the mid to late Ptolemaic period, 300 BC.
The land surrounding Karnak was a place the ancient Egyptian people held in high regard, as a revered, respected and holy place. This location is believed to be a focal point for the temple of Amun and its worshipers during the 18th dynasty.
The majority of the world was unaware of this long forgotten Egyptian wonder. Its name lived only in rumors and its location was unknown to Europe and much of the world, until the late 17th century. In the later years of the 1600’s, the site was rediscovered by a traveling team of missionary brothers who were traversing the region and documenting their tales, to be later published in a book. After the brothers adventures were published, word of the site spread like fire and within a handful of decades, the location had become a place of interest and mystery for anyone who dared to risk their lives to step foot on the ancient grounds of the great Karnak Complex.